Sunday, May 1, 2011

Run for Mercy, BBQ, and Papa's Birthday

Yesterday morning, we walk/ran the 5K Run for Mercy.  I love this race - it is for a great cause, and we always see a lot of people we know.  Tim and I pushed Caleb and Josiah in jogging strollers.  Joel ran the start and the end, but hitched a ride on top of one of the strollers for the rest of the race.  We walked the first half and then jogged the last half.  It was a good decision....the last half was mostly downhill.  
After we finished, they had a kid's fun run.  This was the best part, and I am disappointed that I forgot my camera.  I lined up Joel and Caleb at the starting line behind the rest of the kids.  I told them to look for me straight ahead.  When they said "GO!" all the kids took off, and I look for mine.  They are at the start line.  On the ground.  Crying.  I think they panicked, tripped, and fell.  
I don't think they are quite ready to begin their running careers yet.  Thankfully, they still have some time to practice their starting skills so they can follow in the "McMillen Sisters" footsteps.... 
After recovering from the traumatic start, I ran the loop with Caleb.  All the kids received medals...and Caleb was exceptionally proud of his.  He even insisted sleeping with it during his naptime!


Saturday evening, we had a family picnic with the MOPS steering team.  After spending the past year serving with these ladies, it was fun to finally meet all their spouses and kiddos.  We wrapped the evening up with smores....always a favorite!



Today was Papa's 50-something birthday.  The boys love to jump on their trampoline with their cousin Jake.  We celebrated with a cookout, apple pie, cake, and ice cream!





1 comment: