Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Oh, What to do with Politics?

I am not a political person.  I do not do a good job at keeping up with all the elections and decisions being made.  I wish I was better at it, but unless it is in my face (aka facebook), I am pretty much oblivious to it all.  This week has been one of those in-your-face debates.  Everyone seems to be commenting and changing their facebook profile pictures to tell everyone else their stance.  I have struggled with what the right response is. If I say nothing, am I in "agreement" with whatever has been said?  

My Bible reading yesterday was perfectly applicable for the internal struggle I was feeling.  Here are the verses that really stood out to me.

Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.  Titus 3:1-2

But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.  Titus 3:9

I am no expert, but this is how I interpreted it.  First, unless it requires me to disobey God, then I am to submit to our leaders.  I have to pray for them.  Pray they make the right decisions.  If they make bad decisions, God still expects me to be respectful and submissive to their authority.  I have to trust that God will hold them accountable.  Second, I am to avoid quarrels.  When you get right down to it, there are very few people who really care to hear my opinion and may actually change theirs based on mine.  If they are interested, they will ask me personally.  This does not make me exempt from ANY words or actions.  I need to pray before I speak or act, and make sure they bring God glory, not my hot temper.  :)  Easier said than done. 

In the meantime, this may require me getting off facebook for a while, so I can cool off . . . :)


No comments:

Post a Comment