Monday, August 3, 2009

Time for Some Mouthwash

I am really dense. When God is trying to send me a message or convict me on something, He has to tell me in all different ways before I finally listen and get the hint. The past few weeks, He has been hitting me hard on controlling my tongue. First, He told me during one of my quiet times. A few days later, Tim and I had a discussion about it. Then to top it off, I was preparing for my small group study tonight and guess what? It is on the same topic. I gossip. Not specifically to hurt anyone, but to vent and "talk things out". I hate confrontation. It is much easier to tell someone else about my hurts than it is to tell the person who hurt me. Sometimes I do it to make myself feel better. I seem much more normal when I talk about how weird or different someone else is. I guess I am looking for confirmation that I am doing things the "right" way.

There are so many scriptures that teach on the power of the tongue - it is hard to list just two.
Proverbs 15:4
The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.
Ephesians 4:29
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Ephesians is tough. Not only are we to control our tongues, but what we do say needs to have a point - something that is helpful to those we are speaking to. And in order for my words to change, God is going to have to do some cleaning up on my heart. My words reflect my heart. Ugh! I think I am going to have a lot less to say...

No comments:

Post a Comment